New York, NY – March 26, 2012) – Thornton Tomasetti, the international engineering firm, in combination with the Steel Tube Institute of North America (STI), is supporting a preference for product from certified producers of Hollow Structural Sections (HSS) materials.
In available geographic locations and for the offered HSS sizes, the preference, which has been incorporated into Thornton Tomasetti’s design specifications, provides assurance that the delivered HSS product was produced by a manufacturer that has been certified by third-party auditor Interek and whose processes, manufacturing procedures and products adhere to the American Society of Testing and Materials (ASTM) International and other nationally recognized standards.
- HSS refers to high-strength welded steel tubing used as structural elements in buildings as well as a variety of manufactured products. It is produced in round, square and rectangular shapes and a broad range of sizes.
- In recent years, demand for HSS has grown significantly and its flexibility has opened up new design concepts in everything from airport terminals, shopping malls and office buildings to domed stadiums, convention centers and residential structures.
- Thornton Tomasetti’s Construction Support Services team has a deep understanding of the design and construction of HSS materials, which allows them to work with project teams to develop a customized plan that best serves budget and schedule needs.
- The HSS certification program provides an identification mark for procedures who pass the audits and product test put forth by STI, which include an engineering evaluation of each of the participating companies’ manufacturing locations and sample tube testing from various mills at Interek’s Verification Center.
- The Program is overseen by STI, which was formed in 1930 by a group of manufacturers that joined forces to promote and market steel tubing. Their goal was to mount a cooperative effort to improve manufacturing techniques and inform customers about HSS products’ utility and versatility. This remains the motivation for the Institute’s efforts today.
About Thornton Tomasetti
Thornton Tomasetti is a leader in engineering design, investigation and analysis serving clients worldwide on projects of all sizes and complexity. With practices in building structure, building skin, building performance, construction support services, building sustainability and property loss consulting, Thornton Tomasetti addresses the full life cycle of a structure. We have supported clients working in more than 50 countries, with projects that include the tallest buildings and longest spans to the restoration of prized historic properties. Founded in 1956, today Thornton Tomasetti is a 600-person organization of engineers and architects collaborating from offices across the United States and in Asia-Pacific, Europe and the Middle East.
Follow Us On