Atlas Tube: Products and Solutions
- A Revolutionary Breakthrough in Protective Coatings Technology
- Steel Hollow Structural Sections (HSS)
- Availability of Design Aids
- Flexible Manufacturing
Atlas Tube is now producing ASTM A1085 HSS. This new specification provides improved performance that makes HSS design easier and potentially more effective.
Some of the benefits of the new specification are:
- Tighter material tolerances and a single minimum yield stress of 50 ksi
- More stringent wall tolerances and the addition of a mass tolerance mean the full nominal wall thickness can be used for design of HSS. This means no longer needing to reduce the nominal wall thickness by 0.93 as prescribed in the AISC Steel Construction Manual for both member selection and connection design.
- More area available for design and a higher min yield means that HSS are more economical and more efficient. Maximum specified yield stress of 70 ksi
- The maximum yield will result in a lower expected yield strength and reduce capacity design requirements and column required strengths in seismic designs.
- This is the only specification used in North America or Europe that limits the maximum yield stress in HSS. Standard requirement for Charpy notch toughness
- New specification will require all HSS to meet a minimum CVN value of 25 ft-lb @ 40° F, which corresponds to AASHTO Zone 2.
- Having the minimum CVN required makes HSS more suitable for use in dynamically loaded structures.