Hollow Structural Solutions (HSS) Manufacturer
HSS Availability Chart HSS Brochure ASTM A1085 Properties Chart
Structural elements used in buildings, bridges and manufactured products, hollow structural sections (HSS) are produced in round, square and rectangular shapes. Available in a broad range of sizes and gauges, HSS have numerous benefits for design professionals, including:
• Increased cost savings
• High resistance to torsional loading
• Ease of welding in the shop and field
To learn about more benefits of HSS, take a look at the Benefits and Advantages tabs below!
If you would like more information, contact our structural engineer, Brad Fletcher, at email@example.com or use the form to the right.
- HSS is widely available throughout North America from a large number of steel service centers
- HSS has greater strength-to-weight ratios than wide flange W and HP shapes. So, with HSS you need less steel, by weight, to do the job. And less weight equals less cost.
- Excellent compression and support characteristics and superior torsional resistance make HSS particularly well suited to all types of column applications
- HSS is made from steel, one of the world’s most recyclable and recycled materials
- Torsional strength makes HSS an excellent choice for bracing and perimeter members
- Less surface area than open sections allows for reduced clean up and painting
- Connection information is now widely available for use throughout North America
- Wide variety of shapes and wall thicknesses are available
- The uniform shape of HSS makes it easy to fabricate and well suited for architecturally exposed applications
- Greater design properties in both axis (moment of inertia, section modulus and radius of gyration)
- High resistance to torsional loading
- Particularly suited for compression column applications
- Less weight-per-foot
- Diversity: strength, formability, toughness and corrosion resistance
- Less resistance to air and water flow
- High quality surface finish
- Appearance in exposed applications can become an exciting and visual part of the design of buildings and other structures
- Cost effective in relation to other building materials
- Ability to conceal essential services
HSS can be readily bent, formed, punched, and drilled. New and improved methods to fasten HSS to itself or to other materials are making its use simpler and fabrication faster.
- Easier, faster and cheaper to paint or coat (22.3% less surface area)
- Easier to weld in both the shop and field (due to restricted chemistries) no preheating or post-heating is required
- Easier to fit mating parts together (no notching or copying of joints as with beams or channels)
- Reduced weight means additional savings in erection and shipping costs
Downloads and Industry Resources